Poor’s Allotment Charity

The Poor’s Allotment Charity is a permanently endowed charity operating under the terms of a Charity Commission scheme dated June 7, 1961. The Scheme calls for seven trustees – two nominated by the Parish Council of King’s Sutton and one by Newbottle Parish Council each for a term of four years, with an additional four co-opted each for a term of five years. The current trustees are as follows:

Mr Philip Chong (King’s Sutton PC)
Ms Maureen Paterson (King’s Sutton PC)
Mrs Linda Baker (Newbottle PC)
Mr Selwyn Charles-Jones
Mrs Jean Poynter
Mrs Elizabeth Al-Anazi
Mr Bob Burrell

The Charity was established in 1772 following the Inclosure Acts to provide fuel for the poor of the ancient ecclesiastical parish of King’s Sutton in lieu of the right to cut gorse and also to make a grant to King’s Sutton Parish Church of SS Peter and Paul. In modern times a periodic gift of coal has been made to the household of state retirement pensioners.

The 1772 grant of land at Purston was sold in 1990 and the proceeds are now held in the Charities Official Investment Fund (COIF) Fixed Interest Shares, COIF Income Shares, the COIF Deposit Account and a current account with the Yorkshire Bank, Banbury. The object is to achieve capital growth in the long term and maintain a reasonable annual income. This ancient charity continues to meet its obligation to the entitled residents of the parish and the Parish Church. A distribution of 100kg (2 bags) of coal was made to 47 qualifying households (43 in King’s Sutton; 4 in Charlton) in August 2011. In accordance with ancient custom, the Parochial Church Council also received an amount for the “use or towards the repairs of the Parish Church.”

blog comments powered by Disqus