Early church records include “a brief statement of the circumstances which led to the formation of the Particular Baptist Church at King’s Sutton in the County of Northamptonshire on May the 12th 1846”. This statement was written around May 1846 and is as follows:
Nearly 50 years ago, several members of the Baptist Church of Middleton Cheney, residing at King’s Sutton, were desirous of introducing the Gospel to the inhabitants of this village, and Mr George Blake offered his house for preaching. It was therefore registered at the Quarter Sessions in Northampton. Their Minister, Mr Green, was invited to visit them frequently both on the Sabbath and weekdays. After his death several Ministers from Banbury and other places continued to supply the place as before. Among these was Mr Chater, a member of the Church at Middleton, who afterwards became a Missionary to Ceylon. The Congregation increasing, early in the year 1820, a building in the occupation of Mr Blake was bought off Wilkins of Bourton by Mr M Gibbard and delivered into the hands of Trustees at the Court Baron, King’s Sutton and recorded by the Steward of the Court, Mr Beesley of Banbury. This building was fitted up as a place of worship, and registered in the Bishop’s Court at Peterborough, July 21st 1820 by Wm Gates D.Reg: as a regular place of worship in the Baptist Denomination. The application to “Bishop Herbert” for the registration was signed by George Blake, Thomas Blake and George Colgrove, July 10th 1820.
Soon after this “The North Bucks Association” undertook to supply the place, a kind of mixed Independent Church was formed, and Mr Searle who had, for some time, been Minister at Church Lane, Banbury, came to reside here. After his removal, the place was kept open by individuals from the neighbouring Cogregations till the year 1843, when from several painful circumstances the Church was entirely scattered and the whole attendants nearly lost.
At this period the doors of the meeting house were partially closed, having no minister for three months, the congregation scattered and the Sabbath School reduced to one teacher, and only ten scholars. Mr John Simson, a native of this village, who had received his early impressions of piety, under the preaching of the gospel in this place, but had removed to London for many years, heard of their condition and, as he had visited and preached there several times, felt a deep interest in the cause of Religion in his birth place. He was induced by these circumstances to return and reside amongst them as their Minister, early in 1844, since which the school and congregation have greatly revived and so increased in numbers as to make it desirable to build a gallery in the meeting house. This was erected last year at the expense of £30 – to which, several neighbouring congregations have kindly contributed a part. The favourable state of attendance and the general respect shown to the Minister, seemed to warrant the immediate formation of a Christian Church of the Baptist Denomination – Mr Simpson, being for some time convinced of the Scriptural duty of Believer's Baptism, was himself, with five others of his friends, baptized and received into the Church at Middleton on July 6th 1845 and have been dismissed thence on May 3rd 1846 to form a principal part of this little community on Calvanistic Principles with the practice of open communion only.
It is also recorded that “The whole of the service was marked by a peculiar manifestation of the divine presence.”
At the time of the formation of the church a Covenant was written and signed.
Under the guidance of Mr Simson the church began to grow. At a meeting in connection with the Sunday School held in July 1845 as many as 150 sat down to tea. The Lord's supper appears to have been held about every two to three months during this time.
After Mr Simson retired, the Church was without a minister for nearly 12 months. Then the Rev George Tustin of Banbury became the minister in February 1856.
Rev George Tustin
Mr Tustin was aged between 50 and 60 when he began his ministry. He was a plush weaver and continued to live in Banbury and work in his trade throughout his 19 years of ministry. Through all these years and in all kinds of weather he walked from Banbury on the sunday morning and walked back again to Banbury after the evening service. He also walked every alternate Wednesday evening to take the midweek service. He finally resigned the post in April 1875 due to failing health. Mr Tustin died in 1881 and was buried at Middleton Cheney. A memorial service was preached at King’s Sutton.
Rev Thomas Bray Rev George Hirst Rev C A Ingram Rev John Churchill
1876-1880 1880-1885 1885-1890 1891-1902
Rev Guyton Rev E C Collinson Rev D M Roberts Rev Hunter
1902-1905 1906-1909 1908-1909 1910-1912
Rev E J Newell Rev H J Chipperfield Rev W G Branch Rev John W Mayo
1912-1915 1915-1929 1929-1934 1935-1939
Rev Terrell Rev G D Moss Rev F J Hearn Rev J Nelson
1940-1944 1944-1951 1952-1958 1960-1967
(Joint pastorate with Middleton Cheney)
Rev Hedley J Feast Rev George Simpson Rev George Nicol Miss Lesley Edmonds
1968 -1978 1978-1981 1982-1986 1988-1991
(Joint Pastorate with Middleton Cheney)
Rev Stephen Willis 1992-
blog comments powered by Disqus