The earliest indications of settlements in the area were recorded by the early historians of Northamptonshire, Bridges (1791) and Baker (1822-30). Both write of the discovery of numerous Roman coins and a number of skeletons, particularly just to the North of Twyford Barn Farm where there was a Roman settlement. This was in an area still known as Blacklands because of the dark colour of the soil. A few years later, in 1840, four more skeletons were found.
In Lake Meadow, to the North of the railway station and just above the flood plain of the Cherwell, discoveries of even more Roman coins and a skeleton suggested another Roman settlement. These and other more recent finds were recorded by the Oxford Archaeological Society in reports dated 1910, 1911 & 1912 and also by the Northamptonshire Archaeological Society. The Oxford reports also described discoveries of Neolithic pottery and evidence of a third Roman settlement uncovered during ironstone mining near Buston Farm. During the mining, Tumuli known as the Two Lows were destroyed but nothing was recorded as having been found in them.
Communications were provided by a Roman road called the Portway. Although its route through the village cannot be traced, the line can be fbllowed from Aynho as far as Walton Grounds and it is assumed it then continued North towards Overthorpe. Another road from West to East crossed the Cherwell at Twyford.
For much more detail on the historical aspects of the village, go to the History Archive of the King’s Sutton Heritage Trust Site.blog comments powered by Disqus