The history of the Manor is documented in considerable detail by both Bridges and Baker. At the time of the Domesday Survey and up to the reign of Henry II, it belonged to the Crown. In 1156, Henry granted the Lordship to Richard Camvill and the Sheriff of the County Simon FitzPeter was paid 30 pounds in blank, uncoined silver on behalf of the King. The Manor passed to Richard’s son Gerard and to his son Richard.
In 1215 during the reign of King John, Richard Camvill was dispossessed in favour of Ingelram de Cigon but in the following year, the first in the reign of Henry III, it was returned to him. His only surviving child, a daughter Idonea, married William Longspe, Earl of Salisbury, and in 1226 he was granted the Manor. In 1240, it passed from William to his brother Stephen and then to Emmeline, his daughter. She died in 1331 and the Manor was inherited by her great niece, Matilda, wife of Robert de Holland.
During the 14th century, the Manor passed to Matilda’s son Robert de Holland and after his death in 1373, to his grand-daughter, Matilda aged 17. wife of Lord John Lovell. In the 15th century it continued through the Lovell family hut in 1485 it again reverted to the King. Henry VII. The names Holland and Lovell are both associated with the village in later years.
In 1488, King Henry granted the Manor to George. the son and heir of Thomas, 1st Earl of Derby. Over the following hundred years it passed through the Derby family until in 1597, during the reign of Queen Elizabeth, it was sold by William, 6th Earl of Derby, to James and Robert Kenwrick. James had been the 5th Earl of Derby’s baliff for the Hundred of King’s Sutton. A year later in 1598, James Kenwrick renounced his share to his nephew Robert and retired to the family home in Eccieston, Lancashire. The Manor then continued through Robert Kenwrick’s descendants until 1735.
For much more detail on the historical aspects of the village, go to the History Archive of the King’s Sutton Heritage Trust Site.